The MSOP...

The MSOP...

Thursday, November 22, 2012

KSTP-TV Ch 5 Story 11/22/12

Another excellent piece of investigative reporting from KSTP-TV's Mark Albert:

Is Guy Greene correct that MN does not know what it is doing with its Sex Offender Policy?

Dean Eric Janus came to this conclusion in 2007:

Let's Review The Evidence:

1) Why wasn't David Anthony Thomas David Anthony Thomasreferred for PP Commitment by Donnay's Unit after convictions in 1981 for kidnapping and raping two women, and having raped 7 other women prior to the murder of Mary Catherine Foley? Why did Donnay's Unit wait to refer him until after the horrific and preventable "Honeywell Ramp Murder" in 1988? (Please see link to story):

2) Why wasn't Thomas Robert Schwartz referred for PP commitment by the State when he was in custody between March 24, 1988 (only 15 days after his parole in Nebraska for sexual assault) and May 2, 1988 for the sexual harrassment and stalking of several women in health clubs in Eagan and Mound? Schwartz had a history of sexually assaulting women in Nebraska and California. Schwartz was not referred for PP commitment, and instead was released. Tommy Schwartz went on to brutally kill 19 year-old Carrie Rae Coonrod in a downtown Minneapolis Parking Ramp:

Is Guy Greene correct that State Risk Assessors are unqualified?

Let's Continue The Review:

3) Why wasn't Scott Edward Stewart referred for PP Commitment by Donnay's Unit in 1991 after his second conviction for sexual assault? Why was he released to rape and murder Melissa Noelle Johnson?

The events which led to Johnson's rape and murder are as follows. At approximately 12:00 p.m. on Independence Day, Thursday, July 4, 1991, Scott Edward Stewart was released from Minnesota's maximum security prison in St. Cloud and told to report to 180 Degrees, a halfway house located in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Stewart's parole agreement stated that he was to report directly to 180 Degrees and to telephone his supervising agent within 24 hours of his release. Stewart did neither; instead, he engaged in an eight-day crime spree.

During this crime spree, Stewart abducted Johnson at gunpoint in St. Cloud sometime between 11:00 p.m., July 8, and 1:00 a.m., July 9. He forced Johnson into his car and drove her to the outskirts of the city, where he raped her. Stewart then stabbed Johnson to death. Stewart surrendered to the police three days later. He confessed to the abduction, rape, and murder of Johnson, and, after a trial, was sentenced to life imprisonment without parole.
In addition to other offenses, Stewart's record reveals two prior convictions for criminal sexual conduct, both of which crimes were committed while he was on parole. After completing two-thirds of his sentence for the second conviction for criminal sexual conduct, Stewart was released from prison on July 4, 1991, on the condition that he reside at a halfway house;

4) Why wasn't Donald Albin Blom Donald Blomreferred for SDP/SPP Commitment by Donnay's Unit on one of several opportunities before he killed Katie Poirer?

Blom had six prior felony convictions, five of them sex-related — specifically for abducting petite young girls like Katie Poirer. In five incidents, he had abducted seven females. DOC repeatedly releases Blom until he kills Poirer;

4) Why wasn't Alfonso Rodriguez, Jr. referred for SDP/SPP Commitment by Donnay's Unit in May 2003 after completing a 23-year prison term for stabbing and trying to kidnap a woman?

Rodriguez also had another conviction for raping another woman, and was a known mentally ill, violent recidivistic sexual predator. Donnay's Unit passed on referring Rodriquez for sex offender civil commitment even after Rodriquez himself told the DOC he needed to remain behind bars for Public Safety;

6) Why wasn't Joseph Edward Duncan III referred for SDP/SPP Commitment by the State in 2004 or 2005 before he murdered four more people, including a 13 year-old boy and a nine year-old boy. The State committed 160+ sex offenders during the time they had Duncan in custody.

Duncan has a long history as a violent sexual predator. He committed his first recorded sex crime in 1978 in his hometown of Tacoma, Washington, when he was 15 years old. In that incident, he raped a nine-year-old boy at gunpoint. The following year, he was arrested driving a stolen car. He was sentenced as a juvenile and sent to Dyslin's Boys' ranch in Tacoma, where he told a therapist who was assigned to his case that he had bound and sexually assaulted six boys, according to a report by the Associated Press. He also told the therapist that he estimated that he had raped 13 younger boys by the time he was 16.

In 1980, also in Tacoma, Duncan stole a number of guns from a neighbor and then abducted a 14-year-old boy and sodomized him at gunpoint. Duncan was sentenced to 20 years in prison, but was released on parole in 1994 after serving 14 years. Authorities believe that during his parole Duncan murdered Sammiejo White and Carmen Cubias in Seattle in 1996 and Anthony Martinez in Riverside County, California in 1997; however, both those cases went cold and were not tied to Duncan until after his arrest in the Groene case. Duncan was arrested in Kansas and returned to prison in 1997 after violating the terms of his parole; he was released from prison on July 14, 2000 with time off for good behavior and moved to Fargo, North Dakota.

In March 2005, Duncan was charged with the July 3, 2004 molestation of two boys at a playground in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota. On April 5, 2005, he appeared before a Becker County judge, who set bail at US$15,000. A Fargo businessman with whom Duncan had become acquainted helped him post bail; however, Duncan skipped bail and disappeared. On June 1, 2005, a federal warrant was issued for Duncan's arrest on the charge of "unlawful flight to avoid prosecution."

Idaho murders and kidnappings

On May 16, 2005, authorities discovered the bodies of Brenda Groene, 40; her boyfriend, Mark McKenzie, 37; and her son, Slade Groene, 13, in their home along Lake Coeur d'Alene, outside the city of Coeur d'Alene. Two of Brenda Groene's other children, Dylan, 9, and Shasta, 8, were missing. An AMBER Alert was issued and searchers combed the area for the missing children while authorities investigated the deaths at the home as homicide. Autopsies determined the cause of death to be "blunt trauma to the head"; authorities also noted that the victims had been bound.

Seven weeks later, in the early morning hours of July 2, 2005, Shasta Groene was seen in a man's custody at a Denny's restaurant in Coeur d'Alene. A waitress, manager, and two customers at the restaurant recognized Shasta from the media attention and surreptitiously called police and positioned themselves to prevent Duncan from leaving. Police officers arrived at the restaurant and arrested the man, later identified as Duncan, without incident. Shasta Groene identified herself to a waitress at the restaurant and to authorities, and was taken to Kootenai Medical Center for medical treatment and to be reunited with her father. Coeur d'Alene police, meanwhile, detained Duncan on kidnapping charges and on his outstanding federal warrant.

When Shasta Groene was found without Dylan, authorities held little hope of finding the boy alive. Police asked the public for tips, specifically with respect to sightings of the stolen red Jeep Cherokee with Missouri license plates that Duncan was driving at the time of his arrest. Authorities discovered that Duncan had rented the car in Minnesota and never returned it. A gas station employee in Kellogg, about 40 miles (64 km) east of Coeur d'Alene, recognized the vehicle as one that had stopped at her station hours before Duncan was arrested.The employee suspected the girl wandering around the station might have been Shasta, but did not confront her, as nothing appeared out of the ordinary. The employee and her manager notified authorities after reviewing surveillance camera footage and seeing Duncan and Shasta in the video.

Many tips provided to authorities centered around remote areas along the Idaho–Montana border. On July 4, 2005, investigators found human remains at a remote makeshift campsite in the Lolo National Forest near St. Regis, Montana. The remains were sent to the FBI lab in Quantico, Virginia for DNA testing and were positively identified as Dylan Groene.

Shasta Groene's interview

Much of what is known about the murders of the Groene family was revealed by Shasta Groene herself. According to Shasta Groene's police interview, Duncan killed her mother, older brother and her mother's fiance and then took her and her brother away in the red Jeep Cherokee.
Shasta told investigators her mother called her into the living room, from her bedroom where she had been sleeping, and she saw Duncan wearing black gloves and holding a gun. Her captor tied her mother's hands with nylon zip ties, and did the same to her mother's fiance and her brother Slade.

Dylan and Shasta were removed from the house and placed inside the stolen rental car. While she waited with her brother, she heard her mother's fiance scream out and then saw her injured older brother staggering away from the entrance to the home. Duncan then bludgeoned the three to death; neither Shasta nor Dylan witnessed the murders. Both Shasta and Dylan were removed to other locations, where they were repeatedly molested for six weeks. She said that they drove a long distance and stayed in two different campsites, Duncan told her of having beaten her family members to death with a hammer. Dylan's remains were found in a remote, woodland area in Montana days after Shasta was rescued. Shasta is now in the custody of her father.

Other crimes

Duncan's arrest led the FBI to launch a nationwide review of unsolved missing child cases. He was implicated as a possible suspect in several crimes that occurred between 1994 and 1997, when he was on parole, and between 2000 and 2005, when he was free from prison. Although he was cleared as a suspect in some cases, authorities in California and Washington had enough evidence to believe Duncan had committed unsolved murders in their jurisdictions.

Anthony Martinez

On April 4, 1997, 10-year-old Anthony Michael Martinez was playing with friends in the front yard of his home in Beaumont, California, when an unknown man approached the group asking for help finding a missing cat. When the boys refused, the man grabbed Martinez at knifepoint and threw him into his vehicle. After a 2-week search, on April 19 Martinez's body was found nude and partially decomposed in Indio. Investigators noted that he had been sexually assaulted and bound with duct tape. Although a composite sketch of the suspect was made available and a partial fingerprint taken from the duct tape found on Martinez's body, the case eventually went cold.
In July 2005, bloggers noticed similarities between Duncan and the composite sketch in the Martinez case, as well as between Duncan's vehicle and the one Martinez's assailant was driving. The FBI and National Center for Missing and Exploited Children became involved, and in turn contacted Riverside County authorities. Riverside authorities were able to match the fingerprint taken from Martinez's body to Duncan, and on August 3 the Riverside County Sheriff officially announced Duncan's connection with the Martinez case.

Sammiejo White and Carmen Cubias

Federal prosecutors also revealed that Duncan confessed to the murders of Sammiejo White, 11, and her sister, Carmen Cubias, 9, who vanished on July 6, 1996, after leaving the Crest Motel in Seattle, Washington, to panhandle. Their remains were found February 10, 1998, in Bothell, Washington.

Nine people murdered and more sexual assault victims because these actual "Worst of the Worst" all passed on by Minnesota Risk "Experts". The evidence supports Guy Greene's shocking accusation: They are unqualified.

Then, Political Pressure has these Risk Assessment "Experts" committing men like these:
1) Cedrick Scott Ince  All of 22 years old and doing life at MSOP.

Here is what the DOC website states, in part: 


2) Thomas Hurl Bolter  Here is what the DOC website states, in part:


 3) Craig Allen Bolte  I was in MSOP when this kid arrived.
He had his 19th birthday at the MSOP. Here is what the DOC website states, in part:


4) Donald Jay Conard  is only 27 and serving a life sentence at MSOP.

Offense Description: CSC 3-NO FRC-ACQUAINT-13-15-F

5) Richard Patrick Comeau
Offense Description: CSC 3-UNK ACT-ACQUAINT-13-15-F 

27 years old and at the MSOP. Michael Benson & Guy Greene are correct in their allegations.

There are hundreds upon hundreds of similar low risk sex offenders in the MSOP. 


No comments:

Post a Comment